What to Do When You Find  Injured Wildlife

Piedmont Wildlife Center no longer operates a wildlife clinic, but we can help you with your wildlife questions and concerns and locate a wildlife hospital or rehabilitator in your area. For wildlife questions or to get a referral to a licensed rehabilatator in your area, call us at 489-0900.


  • Do NOT give it any food or water
  • Place it in a well ventilated box lined with a t-shirt or non-frayed towel.
  • Isolate the box away from pets and children in a warm, quiet area. Do not keep wild birds in wire cages as they may cause further injury to themselves.


  • Only licensed rehabilitators should attempt wildlife care. This is not the time to try your hand at something new.Even animals that appear to be thriving can be suffering from problems that will affect its health and chances of survival in the wild. 

Wildlife Rehabilitator Contacts:

  • NC Wildlife Resource Commission maintains a list of rehabilitators for North Carolina, by county. Click on the “Contact a Wildlife Rehabilitator” link.
  • Wildlife Welfare maintains a network of rehabilitators in the Wake County area.  919-387-1662
  • CLAWS rehabilitates birds, small mammals, some reptiles and fawns.  It is located in Orange County and services the Triangle area. 919-619-0776
  • Triangle Wildlife Rehabilitation Clinic  has a wildlife veterinarian on staff and rehabilitates birds, small mammals and reptiles.  It is located in the Parkwood area of Durham and services the Triangle area.  919-544-3330

3.  For further instructions or on how to make a specific animal comfortable and safe until you have turned it over to a rehabilitator, click below.